Sunday, May 16, 2010

SISTERHOOD

Hey guys I’m Melissa Magazine the elder of the “2 Sister’s”. Here is what I believe that God has established the order of family. In that family He has parents & children, (siblings). Siblings are the part of the “order” that we would like to concentrate on. To me this is the first practice of communication. The family you’re born into serves a purpose & we can’t serve that purpose when we are disconnected or in discord. If that line of communication is broken then it infiltrates into all of our other relationships in every area.

I believe that my sister & I have a bond that goes beyond the natural realm of things. Here are the reasons why I believe that we are so connected. I do believe that the foundation of it all is because of my mom & how she raised us. My mother always told us that all we have is each other, especially when our parents are gone. She told us that from knee high. We were never allowed to badmouth each other or anyone for that matter or pass licks. I remember hearing my mother praying that we would be close. On our birthdays our parents would always give the other one a present as well. We could never go anywhere without the other, of course that was sometimes a pain & embarrassing but now I understand. Our parents ALWAYS supported us no matter how big or ridiculous our dreams were. They NEVER showed any favoritism at all!!


In this blog you will clearly see how different my sister and I are & how close we are as well. We hope to share our knowledge, experiences, & our love for our relationship with the world in hopes that it will help to strengthen the sibling bond.


Sister Kristy


Hey guys I am the younger sister, of “2 Sisters”. On many things I have followed my sister’s lead. She suggested we start a blog and I said okay. It’s really that simple. We are very close. So close that we are often asked if we are twins. But that was not always the case. We actually disagree on a plethora of subjects even what it means to be a sister. So we decided to post our discussion about the subject of “sisterhood”.


1. What does being a sister mean to me?


Sister Kristy: besides the obvious of being born or adopted into a family and being a sister by default….. being a sister means having support. You are able to share ideas, heartaches, pains and triumphs without judgment.


Sister Melissa: I believe that sister’s trust one another & that they share secrets that stay between them. We support each other endeavors. I also believe that we are supposed to see their potential even when they don’t & encourage them to be their best.


2. How do you not past judgment on your sister?


Sister Kristy: well this can be difficult as first. Because it can be hard to live with someone and see their faults yet not judge them. The key is to put yourself in their shoes in order to identify with their present circumstances.


Sister Melissa: I believe that’s easy for me. I totally remember me & who I am & how I make mistakes. The thing about me is that I am protective, so that kind of spills over into my relationships. My sister may take my protectiveness sometimes for judgment, but I’m truly trying to protect her. I don’t want her to make the same mistakes I made.


3. How to support your sister even though you do not agree with her choices?


Sister Kristy: I have rarely agreed with the choices that my sister has made since I was sixteen. However, I knew she needed my support on those issues. The key to remember here is that support does not mean agree. They are two different things. You can support an idea or action from the sidelines while helping your sister through a situation.


Sister Melissa: I totally concur with my sister that it is truly about support, you do not have to agree. I do think that you should share your opinion if you believe that the decision will harm them. But sometimes you have to know the language of silence, which can be difficult when you think your loved one is about to fall. Do not give the, “I told you speech” & just be there.


4. How can you become closer to your sister whom is completely different from you?


Sister Kristy: I totally get you out there whom is having this issue. My sister interest’s have always been completely left field of my interest. So I just made an effort to spend time doing the things she liked. For example as a teenager I traveled with her to modeling gigs. I had no interest on what color eye shadow matched her designer digs, but did have a very big interest on helping her become as stress free as possible while she found the perfect eye shadow.


Sister Melissa: For me, I like variety. I like differences. My sister being different from me is no different then being from different cultures or nationalities. My sister may not know this but her being different taught me a lot of things, things I would have never known I liked if it wasn’t for her & her friends. I like learning & I enjoy making memories with my sister doing some of the activities that my sister enjoys.


5. How can you become closer to your sister whom you don’t even like?


Sister Kristy: I felt like Melissa did not like me for the longest time. She went through that whole I’m a grown woman now that I’m seventeen phase. Yes Seventeen not eighteen. So my solution was to make a CHOICE to like her first. I went to visit her in college. I talked to her about her favorite subjects. We went on movie dates. But more importantly, I started to share things with her that was precious to me and confidential. I gave her a chance to prove that I could trust her. I opened myself up to a relationship with her.


Sister Melissa: Just for the record there was never a time where I didn’t like my sister. Actually, I thought she didn’t like me during a period of my life when I felt like I was at rock bottom. I was finding my way back to God & I may not have handled things as best I should. I think she didn’t know how to handle me & because of where I was mentally my perception was off. You push through what you think & what you feel & communicate your feelings no matter how much it hurts. You tell each other the truth at all times & trust me prayer works!






































No comments: